Sunday, November 12, 2006

last night's dinner


Leftovers
Originally uploaded by theCallowQueen.
I'm in Singapore. The food is tasty and very different from my usual. Here, I often prefer to eat first and ask later.

I did know that these were frog legs, though, when I plopped them into my soup. They're kept alive in tanks like lobsters or in big plastic bags. This, of course, didn't really whet my appetite, but it didn't hold me back, either.

"It tastes like chicken," Countingpig's friend joked with me.

He's right. The meat from a frog's leg tastes very much like that from a chicken's. The texture is smoother though.

But onto one of my favorite meats: pork. The pork here is amazingly tasty. It's either they're using a different kind of pig or a different kind of flavoring--or both. For lunch it was steamed pork soup dumplings. For an after-dinner bite it was a crispy pastry filled with egg and pork floss. Floss is very tasty, but it's like hot dogs or Jell-O--you don't want to know how it's made or what parts of the animal are used in it.

Oh, and for dessert we had these fried pastries that, when dunked into the juice from our bean curd dessert, tastes very much like funnel cake. Yummy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interestingly, alligator tastes a lot like chicken too...except for greasier unless it's in a soup.

I'm glad you're enjoying your trip. I'm looking forward to hearing about it when you get back!

--AT

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.