Thursday, September 13, 2007

everybody's doing it

We all get the feeling that everyone seems to be doing something that we're not, and then we get that feeling that we should be doing it too. Then "should" becomes a "want." Perhaps it is a valid want, but perhaps it's just herd think.

Everybody's getting married these days. Everybody's having babies. Everybody's buying houses. Maybe I should be too. And then: I want that too.

There's another side to this. The status of engaged, just married, pregnant, new parent, homeowner, or whatever wasn't even on your radar before you yourself reached the point of wanting it for yourself.

There are always going to be pregnant women walking around. This isn't new. They didn't just start popping out of the woodwork. You just didn't notice them before because you weren't thinking about babies and children as a part of your own life.

And it's not a coincidence that if you're thinking for proposing to your girl that you've been hearing more commercials about rings and jewelry stores. The ads were always there; you're just listening with new ears.

Do I have a point? Not really. I get the feeling the same as everyone else. But I hope I can buck the heard mentality--and listen and be true to myself.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Everybody may be doing it...but it's nothing to rush into before you're ready--and then some. Trust me on this one. =-p

theCallowQueen said...

I'm with you. So, today at Grandma's, she asked about the status of us getting hitched. Kcprogrammer, with my mom sitting next to him, said, "She's not pregnant yet." It was funny and horrific at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! I can't believe Jim said that. I would be laughing so hard that I might lose consciousness.

I can tell you that being newly married is sweet. Everything thing is the same as before, except we have nicer pots and pans. I guess I have to start cooking more now...

As for babies, I have no interest in those, but the new parents I know seem pretty happy with the whole thing, so maybe someday. I will say that feeding my friend Mel's baby the other day made me certain that my no babies decision is the right one for now (this was a good baby mind you--not even a fussy, cranky one.)

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.