Tuesday, April 19, 2005

change in lawrence


Pay to play
Originally uploaded by theCallowQueen.
The G-man and I went to Lawrence this weekend. I love Lawrence. I loved living in Lawrence. Now, I almost feel like a stranger there.

It's become so much more crowded. It's grown so different.

The shops change, changing my comfort to longing.

I miss knowing what shop or restaurant sat where, and what each was known for. This fabulous restaurant that served the best mahi mahi has given way to a new restaurant/club.

I kept traveling down Mass. Street until we reached someplace familiar: Free State Brewing Company. Finally, a block that hasn't changed. Liberty Hall and the coffee shop sit just as I remembered.

As we waited for our table, I watched the sidewalk traffic. Couples walking their dogs. Parents out for after-dinner walks with their small children. Kids climbing on everything. College kids in hippiesque clothes that just scream KU.

I miss KU. I miss the ability to walk to someplace so alive and vibrant as Mass. Street.

2 comments:

newgen said...

I was looking at who visited my site and yours came up. I'm in Lawrence now. small world. do I know you?

Anonymous said...

I miss the Lawrence I knew, too. I need to go back, but I need the drive to go, too.

-l42

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.