Wednesday, May 23, 2007

if you knew i was coming, would you bake a cake?

At my cousin's wedding last weekend, practically every person I spoke with asked about Kcprogrammer, how long we'd been together, and whether we were talking about marriage. And I'm an open person. You know I'll talk about almost anything. But I really got tired of it. People assume that since we've been dating for a year and a half that we must be on the verge of marriage. And we may be. But what I realized in my annoyance with this same question being asked over and over--to which I never seemed to be able to offer a response that satisfied--was that they were asking the wrong question.

Just because you may madly love your boyfriend of a year--or three years for that matter--doesn't mean that you can spend the next 50 years with him and still be happy. Love is the icing. It's nice in little tastes by itself, but it's only truly good when it is the complement to something much more substantial--say a delectable, moist cake. But that won't happen if you don't have the right ingredients. And this is one recipe that I don't want to mess up.

I think too many people get a taste of the icing and assume that the cake that's beneath it is equally yummy. We rush in foolhardily--even when we think ourselves rational--and we pay the price. All of these wedding shows on TV--what if they followed up and showed the couples going through their divorces or living in loveless, commitmentless marriages just a few years down the road?

A poor dessert leaves one less satisfied than if no dessert had been had at all. This may all sound like Kcprogrammer is going to be fighting an uphill battle. But if at the top of the hill, one receives the best cake ever tasted, the climb will have been more than worth it.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.