Wednesday, June 16, 2004

cracked open

Yesterday I was reminded of a lesson i never want to learn the hard way.
I wish I were reminded by a "this is your brain on drugs fried egg" commercial.
Instead it was in the form of tears streaming down the face of one of those dearest to my heart.
"She’s so smart," the congested voice said to me, "how could she be so stupid to mess up her life?"

The simple answer is the scary one: you and i at some point in our lives have done something equally stupid.
The only difference is we were lucky and didn't feel the burn from our actions.

So I’ve watched and learned the lesson, right? This time I’ve learned it right? How many times have i learned this lesson and soon after forgotten it?

I didn't sleep last night; a song from Urinetown, the musical, running through my head.

Cladwell: But what of tomorrow, Mister Strong?!
Think of tomorrow, Mister Strong!
Our resources are as fragile
As a newborn baby's skull
With your actions
You would gut the child
And leave a lifeless hull!
Could it be you're so short-sighted
So insensitive, so dull?
Think of tomorrow, Mister Strong!

The Poor: But what of today?!

No comments:

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.