Monday, June 26, 2006

up, down, all around

I wanted to make a post for you all. I wanted to give you a little glimpse into my busy life and offer an excuse as to my infrequent posting and the lengthening lapse of time between the time I see or talk with many of you.

But when I tried to do so, all my little activities seemed quite boring. Now if one is not busy, one looks lazy. And a lazy person who does nothing should be a boring person. But I think it's really the busy person who's boring because he or she is rushing through a sea of tasks, chores, and have-tos.

There's a saying about keeping always busy so that the devil will find you always engaged. But if the devil can't find an entry point into your life, neither will anyone else. When one becomes busy, the larger world becomes hidden.

I've been thinking about that drive to do more, accomplish more, achieve more lately. This morning I came across the following quote. Maybe this one struck me because kcprogrammer and I watched "Click" last night, bringing out thoughts about the family-work balance.

People are so busy dreaming the American Dream, fantasizing about what they could be or have a right to be, that they’re all asleep at the switch. Consequently we are living in the Age of Human Error.
—Florence King

Side note: At first, I found the moral lesson of putting family first in "Click" kind of odd. This was an Adam Sandler comedy. Then I thought back to some of his other movies. Many of them share a common theme of a guy who's off track or who doesn't understand what his life needs or is missing. I'm still trying to decide if this disturbs me.

And it has me thinking about the "lessons" taught to us through other comedies. Maybe I'll wait to make my decision until I see what Jack Black tries teach me about life in "Nacho Libre."

3 comments:

Sideways Chica said...

Wonderful! We are on the same page here I think. I recently wrote about a "hat trick," and getting rid of and not wearing so many hats...especially not all at once. My point was not living life on automatic pilot.

Enjoyed your musings tremendously chica...thank you.

Ciao bella...have a great week.

YellowDancer21 said...

I couldn't agree with you more. The more you do the less you absorb and have time to do the things that are really important. I hate being so busy that I couldn't tell you all the things I did in my week because I can't remember past two days ago. I mean, sometimes it happens--and it's okay if it's not all the time. But I go crazy if I don't get any time for me to sit still and just be.

Interesting point about comedies. I don't know what to think about it either. It feels somehow like brainwashing... ;)

Anonymous said...

I have no problem whatsoever with the idea of being lazy. I craze so much to be lazy right now. All I want is a summer vacation...or maybe to trade in my corporate job and business school to be a bartender or something fun...

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.