Wednesday, August 23, 2006

off making money

Affluenza, my current book club book, is all about how our consumeristic culture is killing us. And how we believe making more money will make us happier but just makes us emptier.

I think many of us would agree with this. The Pope recently told us to chill out a bit and relax before we all became hard-hearted and spiritually stunted.

But that's easier said than done isn't it? We want what others have. We want what we think will improve our lives. And most of the things we've got to have cost money. So we work.

My roomie and I have recently decided to get a DVR because videotaping is too troublesome anymore, oh and while we're at it, we might as well upgrade to digital cable and add the internet. We haven't had the internet in five years. It's going to be tough going from a $12 bill to a $90 one. But we have to have it, right?

I can justify the internet. My freelance work is growing. I just got another job. And having the internet will simplify my work. So I'm working to pay for the internet, which I need to do my work. Hmm...

For the rest of the week, I'm going to push off the book and the Pope's recommendations. I have a magazine to get out and a rush-order freelance gig to get through before Friday. Maybe this time, maybe money will be able to buy me happiness.

Or maybe not. At least my weekend looks to be work-free. I might even have time to look for a affluenza remedy. Do you think I can find that with the flu and cold meds at CVS?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Affluenza looks really good--may I borrow it when you're done? Speaking of borrowing, have you watched Mad Hot Ballroom yet?;)--AT

YellowDancer21 said...

This is why I don't have a lot of interest in doing freelance work on top of a full time job. Though I know it would be good to avoid putting all my eggs in one basket, I also enjoy having that little bit of extra time to work on my own projects.
I've thought about this whole vicious cycle a lot, especially when I'm awake at night and can't get to sleep. I get all panicky thinking about how much of your life is wasted away at work and how all the extra projects I want to desperately to work on will probably never get done because I never have the time to sit down and do them. It makes me sad.
That's why I think I'm so unambitious as far as my career goes. I know I will never have a high paying job. I will never be a famous graphic designer. But those things don't really matter to me so long as I get to spend time with my friends and family and enjoy their company for as long as I can.
But I understand the consumerism thing because when I get depressed the first thing I do is go to my bookstore and look for something to buy. It's an addiction.

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.