Friday, February 24, 2006

office space repeats

Dom Portwood: Hello, Peter. What's happening? We need to talk about your TPS reports.
Peter Gibbons: Yeah. The coversheet. I know, I know. Uh, Bill talked to me about it.
Dom Portwood: Yeah. Uh, did you get that memo?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah. I got the memo. And I understand the policy. The problem is, I just forgot this one time. And I've already taken care of it so it's not even a problem anymore.
Dom Portwood: Yeah. It's just that we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports *before* they go out now. So if you could just remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!
Trade out the memos with emails, and this is my work reality.

Yes, people, I got the freakin' email. Yes, I've talked to that person. Yes, I know; the person who told you already told me. It's already be handled/dealt with/fixed/controlled.

And you know this wouldn't be an issue if people were direct with each other and if we had a little open communication. But, no, instead we have to try to hint at what we want, and when we don't get what we want, we complain to someone marginally higher up, which just confuses the whole thing because she doesn't understand the issue. And then I just end up even more freakin' annoyed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One day one of the managers from my old department and my friend Caitlin had the following exchange:

Manager: Yeah, um, so we're going to need you to come in on Saturday

Caitlin: (thinks this must be a joke. Manager looks serious. Pauses) But I have plans on Saturday.

Manager: Yeah, we're going to need to you to go ahead and come in.

That's just scary. This is the same manager who told me "I don't appreciate you throwing a fit" when I was upset my desk was moved to another building without notice. I just came in and someone else was sitting at my desk.--AT

theCallowQueen said...

Oh my. It's scary how true to life this stuff is.

Kcprogrammer is an avid Dilbert reader. I simply would get depressed reading it every day. Just watching Office Space a few times and seeing The Office on TV almost pushes me over the corporate edge.

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.