Friday, May 13, 2005

five-and-twenty years

One score and five years ago (minus one day), theCallowQueen was born.

My birthday's tomorrow. I’d almost forgotten. I know when my birthday is. I've already received my birthday present for my dad. And I've talked about tomorrow with my friends who are throwing me a birthday party. But it still didn't sink in that the day was really approaching.

I think birthdays, like the New Year, serve as reminders that time is passing. What are you doing with your time? Do you realize how slow/quickly such-and-such has happened?

I was in a crabby mood this morning, slow to ready for the day, missing the lunch I would have been having with my former co-workers. I finally arrived at work--22 minutes late (but still before two of my co-workers)--and on my desk were cinnamon rolls, chocolate chip cookies, tortilla rolls, and potato chips. Latecomers soon added more cookies, crackers, and donuts. A feast for my birthday.

I was so surprised!

Suddenly my cubicle is the place to be. A former classmate who works a few cubicles down stopped in for a snack, giving us a chance to chat and get over the awkwardness of seeing each other in the halls and not greeting each other because neither of us knows if the other would remember us.

Twenty-five is a milestone; I feel like I should have something deep, introspective to write. I don't. Maybe tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is the old classmate? How nice you two could get over the awkwardness. ;-> Happy Unbirthday.

-l42

theCallowQueen said...

She's just a girl I'd had some journalism classes with.

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.