Thursday, July 14, 2005

the new, old girl

So, over the past few weeks I’ve been listening to JB, the senior managing editor of three publications, talking on the phone about potential assistant editors for his magazines. (The back wall of my cubicle meets the back wall of his.) Yesterday, I heard they’d made a decision. He commented on the salary she wanted and the salary they offered. (My mouth dropped. It’s much, much more than I made as an assistant editor.)

Today, I was talking with the publications’ managing editor. She said I knew the new hire. She was a long-time custom communications intern from my old work. She was the one who gave me the dragonflies that I have on my cubicle wall. I’m happy. She’s a nice girl. She does good work. And a familiar face will be welcome.

My big question: Why did she leave the PR place she’d taken a job with? I’m so nosey.

And I’m trying to resist the urge to call two of my former co-workers and tell them how much she’ll be making. They deserve more than what they get. I feel bad. As much as I loved my old job and the people I worked with, the company terribly underpays its workers, at least at the lower levels. I’m amazed at how little they pay.

And listening to JB talking about salaries has me wondering about how the pay scales differ depending on the magazine and the position. For another position, JB was quoting a salary level that I thought was OK, but not impressive. But this assistant editor salary is impressive. If I were making this salary as an assistant editor at my last job, I’d probably have tried to work things out with my boss. Amazing how a little bit more money can encourage delusions and keep one from seeing the light.

2 comments:

YellowDancer21 said...

That's cool that you'll be working with someone you worked with before! Who knows, maybe eventually your whole office from the other place will migrate on over (except for the, ahem, boss type peoples)

Looks like we're going to have some plans tomorrow night after all, eh? Link will just have to wait, poor adorable boy. ;)

I hope you didn't have any nightmares about bats last night.

theCallowQueen said...

Poor Link!

No nightmares last night, or if I had them, I don't remember them.

Now that I'm out of that place, I sometimes wonder how I thought that I was getting a fair shake. But at the time, I truly did.

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.