Tuesday, December 06, 2005

if i were a coder

I wouldn't have spent this last hour (and perhaps a bit more) trying to adapt this code. I added the ability to create a link from my blog to others (in case someone ever chose to use the function). And then I decided I'd like it to have the same show-hide function that my comments have.

So I went back to the original hack I applied to the comments and tried to do the same for the backlinks. I was so proud of myself. It worked--or so I thought until I actually republished my blog. It seems to work on the first post on my main blog page and on each individual blog entry page. But it's not working on the older entries on my main blog page. Harrumph!

Hey, I've got a boyfriend who's a programmer. Hey, kcprogrammer, help? You'll earn major usefulness points ;)

4 comments:

YellowDancer21 said...

I dunno why that's not working, but then again we know I'm just learning as I go too. :)

Anonymous said...

You're doing excellent with this whole boyfriend thing. Just keep emphasizing how important this points things is. Maybe I'll turn mine into a merit system because I'm just so fond of the word "demerit." My boy achieved his greatest ever single day demerit. Good thing he had a week of "doing the dishes for absolutely no reason" merits. Or he would be in trouble... at

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about Blogger, but it looks it's not parsing the variables... if you view the source of your page and do a search for $, you'll find several of these:

$BlogBacklink[VariableName]$

Maybe there's some other setting you need to enable for the links thingy so it'll parse the variables?

The reason it only works on the first one is because all of the link areas have the same ID:

span class="backlinkshidden" id="c<$BlogBacklinkControl$>"

Since they're all the same, the browser just uses the first one it sees. If the variable names were being parsed, they would all have unique IDs and it would work.

Anyway... I'm looking forward to Christmas break. I'm driving from Nashville to good ol' Kansas on the 23rd, so I'll see you then!

theCallowQueen said...

yellowdancer21: And thanks for sharing what you learn!

AT: Haha, kcprogrammer read this and asked if I was going to put him on a merit/demerit system too. Haha.

coder cousin: Thanks, I think I almost understood that. ;)

I am so looking forward to Christmas and seeing everyone. It'll be a long drive for you, but I'm really glad you're making the trip for us.

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.