Friday, December 09, 2005

snow day

I woke at 7. It was one of those full-bodied, I-was-sleeping-soundly-and-rudely-awakened-by-my-alarm. I got up. Stumbled to the kitchen. Ate a brownie and peered out the window. My car sat coldly under a thick layer of white. The lot hadn't been cleared. But cars were smoothly gliding down Antioch.

I decided to call work's emergency weather line. My managing editor had told me the day before that in the many years she's worked here (13-plus would be my guess) that they'd only closed the office a few times due to snow. But, hoping for a bit of luck, I dialed the number.

Shocked at what I heard, I repeated the message.

The office was closed! And I, being so sure that I'd be trudging into work the next day, had not brought anything home to work on. I was free for a day! I went back to bed.

I heard those poor, miserable work-bound souls scraping off their cars under my bedroom window. I put in my earplugs and went back to sleep.

I rolled over. The bright sun reflecting off the white snow put so much light in my room that it pierced through my eyelids, waking me from my luxurious sleep. I put on a sleeping mask and rolled over.

At 11 a.m., I decided I needed to roll my lazy @ss out of bed. But it was wonderful. Just wonderful.

I lounged on the couch and watched a marathon of "America's Next Top Model." (Yes, I'm admitting to it. If I'm going to waste time, I want to really waste time. Oh, I miss those days of watching marathons of old "Real Worlds.") I was semi-productive. I did label and stamp the newsletter to mail out today.

Then, around 2 p.m., it was time to face the world. I took the broom and my keys and went out to tackle my snow-iced car. Before I could open the car door, I needed to get rid of the snow on the roof of the car that would fall onto my driver's seat. I loved the feeling of the snow as I pushed it off. It was soft, dry snow, which is the best kind. It moves when asked and requires little scraping. I got into it. Then I realized I wasn't holding my keys.

I searched the snow and saw no evidence of them. Shite. I had an appointment in 20 minutes. I began sweeping the snow around my car. Nothing. I retraced my steps, sweeping. Nothing. Shite. Shite. Shite. I was nearing full panic mode. I swept deeper and deeper into the snow. Finally, I found them deep down in compacted snow. Whew! And I even was able to make it to my appointment on time (OK, a minute late--but that's on time for me).

That evening I bumped the heater up an extra notch (thanks, roomie, for not getting mad), and snuggled under a blanket with my boy to watch "The Apprentice" (and enjoy delivered Wheat State pizza). I'm really torn this season. I like both Randal and Rebecca. Randal was my favorite by a smidge, but after last night's episode, I'm leaning a little more toward Rebecca. I think The Donald should hire them both.

4 comments:

Sideways Chica said...

Your story reminds me of the time I lost my keys. I needed to meet with a new client and was already close to running late. I too found my keys in the cold. When I opened the fridge to get a bottle of water, there they were. Smirking at me.

I barely made it to the appointment, but I nailed the presentation.

Here's to coming in from the cold, with keys in hand!

Ciao...

Teri
www.herestohappywomen.blogspot.com

YellowDancer21 said...

I hate you. :P Just kidding. Though I spent much of last Wednesday reminiscing about snow days at school and wishing I wasn't in the working world...

I totally agree with you about Apprentice. I was thinking more toward Randall at the beiginning and now I'm thinking more Rebecca. I hope he does hire them both.

Have you watched Alias yet?

theCallowQueen said...

The plan is to catch up on TV shows tonight. My roomie is going to watch "The Apprentice" before I get home. And then together we're going to tackle "The Amazing Race" and "Alias." And maybe we'll do some shopping for groceries and presents and such.

Anonymous said...

All right for the snow days! Although I took an unofficial, personal snow day.

Glad you got your keys back and made your appointment. I'm all giddy now reading about your little snuggling. XD

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.