Thursday, January 13, 2005

a dress up day

My office is supposed to be business casual. But we're really a jeans casual office except for days when the bigwigs come in. Shhh! Don't tell. So I rolled out of be 10 minutes before I'm supposed to leave, and I remember, today is a bigwig day. Time for the closet challenge. I managed to pull together a semi-professional outfit, considering I don't own a suit. I'm even almost wearing hose. OK, they're thigh-high tights, but that's about as far as I'll bother this morning.

I got my annual review back from my manager yesterday.

Every time I think I'm succeeding in showing her my value, she changes I'm being evaluated on. Yesterday, everything turned upside down. "It's not your tasks," she said. My edits, my writing, my ideas, my work, all acceptable, even good. Wow. I knew they were, but I didn't know that she knew it. What I need to work on, she says, is my skills. Huh? I guessed that time management was among those skills, but I asked, "What skills are you referring to." Her answer surprised me: "Interpersonal skills, relating to others, knowing yourself, understanding how you relate and affect others and this process."

My response: I stare at her blankly, dumbfounded for what seems to be an eternity.

A side note: An article I edited a few months back was the best read in the September issue. It got 90 percent readership, which is just a ridiculous, crazy-high number.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is an unusual comment to receive, but the skill is one people think about the least. That's the feeling I get here at work. Few think about the impact of their actions on others. I don't know what your evaluator was referring to specifically, but take it to heart and see what you can do about it.

-l42

theCallowQueen said...

My "evaluator" was my boss. I guess I do have problems relating to others, well just her, but that's all that matters in this scenario, I guess.

Tonight, though socially inept, I've been invited for an evening out on the town with my co-workers, sans boss, of course.

Anonymous said...

That's probably why I would never want to be a "boss". You could become a figure of fear and misunderstanding (or you could become a figure of fear and everybody knowns you really *are*. All depends on your personality or change of personality).

-l42

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.