Monday, January 31, 2005

rice, roomies, and randomness

I hereby deem Saturday's potluck dinner a success. We ended up with four sets of roommates and a lot of rice dishes. Those of you who scuttled out early missed the fun of the G-man's girlfriend breaking out her new video camera. (She tried to point the lens at us. Then it was our turn to do the breaking.) You also missed out on the G-man trying to sit-ups on my Yoga ball. Oh, and me giving everyone a surprise beating playing Acquire. I am the Queen. All bow to me. Maniacal laugh.

Maybe the G-man’s right and some of Big-Bold-D’s Jewish luck is rubbing off on me. Then again what’s with this Jewish luck thing? I have the same question about the Luck o’ the Irish, too. I recently heard “The Luck of the Irish” on the radio and the chorus is as follows:

If you had the luck of the Irish
You'd be sorry and wish you were dead
You should have the luck of the Irish
And you'd wish you was English instead!

Google’s showing me that John Lennon sang the song, but I heard some Irish band with beautifully thick accents singing it (making it all the more depressing). Surprisingly, it looks like Shonen Knife did a cover of it, too. It’s odd because they’re the perky J-pop duo that sings, “Cycling is Fun” to me at least once a week through my iTunes. What’s with the morbid Irish song? Now I need to hear it. Must e-mail co-worker to find out if he has it.

One minute and eight seconds later:
He has it and put a copy in my folder on the server. Starting up iTunes. I hear John Lennon singing. He stops. Shonen Knife starts in with their cute not-quite-English pronunciations. Now John's singing. Oh, Shonen Knife again. Now they're finishing up together. Oh my. Oh my, that's all I can say. I think the girls should stick with serious topics like the fun of bicycle riding.

On to another thread: Maybe in the future I should call the G-man's girlfriend "H-woman." Then again, maybe that's a bit premature; I mean the boy hasn't even given her a drawer yet. Can she really be the H-woman without possession of the G-man's drawers? OK, by that I mean a dresser drawer, naughty readers. Hmm, maybe it’s just a naughty me.

Drawers side note: I'm wearing boy's boxers today and enjoying the roomyness. Guys get all the comfy stuff. On the other hand, I'm not willing to give up my high-heeled black boots with the silver buttons. I just look to gosh darn cute in them.

Hmm, enough rambling, back to work. The editing piles are beginning to grow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must that song. Another words, I have to have that song.

-l42
Music Maniacle Monocle Man, Monocle Man, stuck his head in a garbage can.

theCallowQueen said...

The original John Lennon or the Shonen Knife tribute?
I don't have the original, but I could try to e-mail the Shonen Knife version to you.
Not that you need me to get it. You’re a downloading queen!
:)

YellowDancer21 said...

Wish I could have made it to the potluck dinner. I was so dead tired Saturday night after cleaning like a crazy woman all day I almost didn't make it through the game. Then, annoyingly, when I actually went to bed I was wide awake, so I started reading this short story which wasn't so short and was up until 2am. Why am I so messed up?

Anyway, it sounds like everyone had a good time. Oh, and I'm glad you brought up the drawer thing because I totally started thinking about the drawer when I was posting my last little thing on my blog. You know, doing the whole search for Alias quotes thing . . . I still love that scene though. "I love my drawer." You so should have titled your post that.

theCallowQueen said...

We'll have another potluck, and you can come to that one.

My favorite drawer scene comes later in the episode with my future husband Weiss ;)

WEISS: She gave you a drawer, huh?
VAUGHN: It was a gesture of convenience.
WEISS: And, uh, what did you put in it?
VAUGHN: Why do you care?
WEISS: What do you mean, why do I care? Do you know how spoiled you are? You know, a drawer! I wish I had a girlfriend to say, "Hey, do you want a drawer?"
VAUGHN: I'll give you a drawer at my place.
WEISS: I don't want a drawer at your place.

Anonymous said...

I will try any and all music. My only limitation is time. And the fact that downloads don't always finish!! About the drawers... I have a spare drawer in my chest that's always open--

Boy, that just sounds wrong...

(BTW, just kidding about the spare drawer. ;-)

-l42

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.