Monday, January 17, 2005

hospital visit

I went to visit my grandma in the hospital again this Sunday. They're still trying to figure out what's causing the pain in her side. I took her the baby blanket I just finished and the baby bootie. She showed everyone who came in to the room. "Look what my granddaughter crocheted," she'd command from her bed. The person would look, and ohh, and ahh. Then said person would as me how long I'd been crocheting. "My grandma taught me about four weeks ago," I'd reply. My grandma beamed.

Later, my dad walked me around the floor, showing me all his toys. (FYI: My dad is a biomedical technician at the hospital.) He showed me the dialysis filters and the wireless transmitters that send the monitor signals from the patients' rooms to the nurses station. He took me to the server room for the fourth, fifth, and sixth floors. "These are the hospital servers, and this is my off-network server," he pointed proudly. I asked about the hospital’s IT staff. They had a lot to take care of. “They do,” he replied, “But they don’t touch these. These are mine.” He was beaming.

It was cool. I hadn’t been to my dad’s work since I was a kid.

P.S. Don't tell my grandma, but when I finished the other bootie last night, it turned out slightly larger. I guess I still need to work on my consistency.

P.P.S. Don't tell your friends, "I did a baby bootie last night." They'll think you're sick and disgusting.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.