Tuesday, September 13, 2005

blood

I gave blood this morning. Then I blacked out. I woke to a huddled mass of Community Blood Center workers yelling my name. I think one of them had been tapping on my face. My shoe was dangling from my ankle, and my book had fallen to the floor, so I knew I must have been shaking too.

The other blood-givers' eyes were huge, and they stared at me. For the next hour I was pumped with apple juice, water, and Oreo cookies. They took my blood pressure and pulse again and again.

Back at my desk I learned that I'd won a prize in the raffle: a red plastic bracelet that reads, "GIVEBLOOD."

I keep telling everyone I'm fine. I ate a big lunch like they told me to. And now, sitting here, I feel exhausted. Maybe I'll go home early.

5 comments:

YellowDancer21 said...

This is why I never give blood because I know this is what would happen to me. I pass out more easily than I would like and I hate that feeling. It's so disorienting. So, though I would like to donate blood, I know that I would be more work for the people who draw the blood than I would be help by donating. Oh well...

YellowDancer21 said...

Didja notice the letter verification dealie? They apparently did something about spam comments--maybe because of you! ;)

theCallowQueen said...

I've given blood before without blacking out. I guess my body just wasn't in the blood giving mood yesterday.

As for the letter verification thing, it is a new feature that Blogger offers. To turn it on, go to the comments section in your blog's settings.

I did bug Blogger about the comment spammers a month or so ago. I'm glad they're working on solutions. Ten points for Blogger.

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better shortly:) I've thankfully never had any problem giving blood except some pain and bruising in the spot of the needle. I'm signed up to give blood Oct. 3.

Yellowdancer--If you don't care to give blood, you can always volunteer to help hand out cookies or sign people in at blood drives:)

--at

theCallowQueen said...

Thanks, AT, I am feeling much better today. I'm drinking lots of water and taking it easy.

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.