Thursday, September 29, 2005

elevated tension

We humans like space, distance from those who we do not have a familiarity with. It’s interesting to watch how people act when this natural desire for space is hampered. A good example of this is in the elevator. Elevators are small, cramped and enclosed. You must stand quite near others. Sure, there’s the sliding to the corner trick, but that only works up to a certain body count.

I don’t know which is more awkward: being pressed against others in a full elevator or standing in the enclosed silence with just one other passenger. With the single passenger, there’s an almost pressing need to fill the silence, make small talk, something. Instead the silence grows thicker with ever floor.

Then the door opens and you meet fresh air and open space.

3 comments:

YellowDancer21 said...

I like making small talk in the elevator. Who knows, you might make a new friend. Or at least make someone smile. I think it's fun. And if the other person is rude or uncomfortable with it, I think it's amusing. So, either way, it's a good time. ;) But I know what you mean about the pressure. I just give into the pressure...

Anonymous said...

Elevators don't bug me. They used to, from that awkward silence, but anymore, I don't care. I don't think older people care either. The older you get, the more you realize, nobody cares.

I care, so when I get that aura that somebody likes talking, we'll talk. If not, well, at least they saw me smile at them. ^^

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

I think I'd rather be in the crowd of people. I hate small talk.

Although I'm not big on crowds either AND i'm afraid of heights.

Jeez, I'm just FULL of phobias!!

Oh yeah and I'm deathly afraid of clowns. :/

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.