Monday, October 03, 2005

a late start

I woke up at 5 a.m. with heartburn. Yes, I should go to the doctor; I know. I took a Pepcid, hoping it would go away. It didn't. I got up at 6 to bug my roomie just before she left for work. Then I sat in front of the TV watching crappy local news and music videos on VH1. VH1, by the way, is SO FREAKIN' ANNOYING. They list the new music that they're going to play. One of the artists was Fiona Apple. Hey, cool, I'll watch for that. The time passes. It's 7, and they're playing Mariah Carey's Shake it Off AGAIN. And still no Fiona. They play the Black Eyed Peas AGAIN. And that Kanye West guy, too. (I ain't sayin' she's a gold digger my ass.) So I'm getting annoyed. And my stomach isn't calming down for me either. Somewhere in here I've taken a shower and dressed and found my shoes. And still no Fiona. Sigh. But I got to see the Sheryl Crow video twice. The art in it is pretty cool. Too bad I don't care for the song.

So I leave for work. Realize that I forgot my book to read over lunch. Go back and grab my book. Go out to the car. Realize that I left my lunch on the table. Go back and grab my lunch.

I finally get to work and it looks a bit like a tailgating party. People are milling around the parking lot. Some are sitting in folding chairs. The office is closed. Power outage. Finally someone posts a note that we're to go home and check in at 11:30 to see if the power has been returned and we can return to work.

I go home. Hey, maybe they haven't shown that Fiona video. Turn on VH1. Crap. Mariah. Flip to other randomness. Flip back to VH1. Kanye again? You've got to be shittin' me. They have all morning to actually play music videos. It's a precious, rare time on the station, and they choose to play the same five videos over and over again? So annoying. Oh, and the new Ricky Martin song sucks. No surprise.

Then I switched channels to watch "Starting Over." This season has a twist. Instead of it being a house full of women looking to get their lives back on track. They have four or five couples. It's a little strange. We don't often show men being made so venerable and crying and talking about the deep issues in such a fashion.

After watching the couple trying to work through their crap, I felt a little better about my petty life. And my tummy had calmed down a bit. I ate some toast and came into work. Yay. (Um, that really wasn't an enthusiastic yay. I'd really rather be at home taking a nap.)

No comments:

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.