Wednesday, November 02, 2005

word of the day: globber

globber, verb. This is the noise made by a live, swamp-dwelling mattress that is deeply moved by a story of personal tragedy. The word can also, according to the Ultra-Complete Maximegalon Dictionary of Every Language Ever, mean the noise made by the Lord High Sanvalvwag of Hollop on discovering that he has forgotten his wife's birthday for the second year running. Since there was only ever one Lord High Sanvalvwag of Hollop and he never married, the word is only used in a negative or speculative sense, and there is an ever-increasing body of opinion that holds that the Ultra-Complete Maximegalon Dictionary is not worth the fleet of trucks it takes to cart its microstored edition around in.

Source: Life, the Universe and Everything

3 comments:

YellowDancer21 said...

Ah, that's definitely one of my favorite chapters in that book. It had me laughing out loud (and I don't laugh out loud often when reading.
That wasn't my favorite word though. I think I liked willomie (I belive it was) better. And wasn't there something like "gallumphing?" I loved it so much because I'm all about making up my own words, as you know.

Anonymous said...

WTF

Kat said...

No new blog since Wednesday?!? Slacker!!

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.