Friday, March 04, 2005

nothing much

Do you guys know that old 70s song, "Nothing From Nothing" by Billy Preston?

Well I was watching a classic SNL (so old the show was called NBC's Saturday Night) with some friends, and Billy Preston came on and sang "Nothing From Nothing." I vaguely know the song. So this was early Sunday morning.

I slept. I woke. I slept again. I woke on Monday and went to work. And as I drove home from work I flipped on the radio to Oldies 95, a long-time favorite of mine. The song? Yep. "Nothing From Nothing," which I can't remember Oldies 95 ever playing.

I slept. I woke. I went to work. I went out to Pizza Shoppe with a co-worker. Music played at the restaurant. The song? "Nothing From Nothing." Too weird.

I did the sleeping, waking, working thing three more times. I thought the song had been laid to rest. Nothing could have been further from the truth.

Just now I opened up a new magazine, BARK, the modern dog culture magazine. The first line of the first item I read? Yep. "Nothing from nothing leaves nothing..."

So, I thought I'd continue on this nothingness by posting the song's lyrics.

The gist of the song: I ain't got no money, honey. But if you've got the money, I've got the time. (That would be The Big Bopper and Willie Nelson, respectively)

Nothing From Nothing
Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
You gotta have somethin' if you wanna be with me
Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
You gotta have somethin' if you wanna be with me

I'm not tryin' to be your hero
'Cause that zero is too cold for me, Brrr
I'm not tryin' to be your highness
'Cause that minus is too low to see, yeah

Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
And I'm not stuffin', believe you me
Don't you remember I told ya
I'm a soldier in the war on poverty, yeah
Yes, I am

Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
You gotta have somethin' if you wanna be with me
Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
You gotta have somethin' if you wanna be with me

You gotta have somethin' if you wanna be with me
You gotta bring me somethin' girl, if you wanna be with me

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know the song, but I definetely know the weird feeling you get when a coincidence is so profound, you're sure it can't be one...

Anonymous said...

Geez... forgot to sign it... That's me up there.

-l42

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.