Friday, June 17, 2005

don't buy analog

We're a TV-obsessed society. And, with my new editing job, I'm getting an inside look at what it takes to get what you see to your TV screen.

All I can say is don't buy an analog TV. Sure they're cheap. I know digital TVs are expensive. The prices should start to come down once Congress has set a firm stop date on analog signals. Right now it looks like it will be the end of 2008. After that you'll need a converter to use your analog TVs. The government is considering proposals to subsidize these converters for the poor.

Manufactures are saying they can make low-cost converters for $40 to $100 a pop. That's not very low cost in my book. What can I get for $19.95?

Why the switch? The government wants those frequencies back. At least 24MHz worth are earmarked for public safety officials. It has something to do with fighting terrorism and first responders.

Anyway, I'm not going to buy a new TV until this whole thing is sorted out. Then again, I'll have little reason to want a new TV as long as I have my roomie. She has a nice big, albeit analog, TV. I love her for more than her TV. She's quite a cook, too. ;)

1 comment:

YellowDancer21 said...

Your roommate's an awesome cook, and I am not going to be buying a TV either for a long time.

There are several reasons why I don't think this whole analog/digital thing is going to affect me for awhile. One, I rarely watch TV in the first place so as long as I have my computer monitor, I'm happy. Two, I mostly use a TV for displaying video games, DVD or tapes. This things are all old school, so until the new game systems come out made for just digital, I should be okay. And even then, I'll just hook 'em up to my computer monitor.

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.