Monday, June 06, 2005

my replacement

So, I met my replacement on Friday. From former co-workers, I’d heard that she was nice, tended to be quiet, and seemed like another version of the editor and managing editor. (That last fact has the associate editor worried. She and I are not the quiet type. I didn’t end up fitting in with my editor. She fears a similar fate. I, though, believe my case was a unique one and she needn’t worry.)

So how did I meet Replacement? Well two of my ex-co-workers quit their jobs last week (GO TEAM!), and we all met up at a bar after work on Friday to say goodbye/celebrate/muorn.

I made a point of sitting down with Replacement and getting to know her. She is indeed sweet and soft spoken. And she is, as I was, in love with the office. Replacement was surprised I had left. I smiled my reply, dancing around the office politics of the true reason I’d made a change. She needn’t know all of the mess.

I explained my departure like this: This place was like my home. I was raised in this office. I began here as an intern. And after four years of nurturing, I found it was time to leave my co-workers—my parents and siblings—and spread my wings.

So, I like her, I approve. Replacement will fit in well on the staff. She told me I couldn’t have my old job back; she liked it too much. I didn’t have the heart to tell Replacement that I, of course, didn’t want the job back. I felt a little ache, remembering that love of work that I once held.

4 comments:

YellowDancer21 said...

Must I reply to every post? Yes? Okay. You twisted my arm...

Anyway, that's a weird situation to be in, especially since the newbie loves the job so much. Kudos to you for diplomatic beating around the bush. It's hard to do. So, why did the other people quit? I'm curious.

theCallowQueen said...

One quit because after more than a decade of dedicated work, she still wasn't being appreciated. And now she can grow her fabulous cookie-making business.

The other quit because she didn't really get along with her boss and they weren't adapting her job to fit her passion and what she was best at. She found a job that would do that and pay her well.

I'm proud of both of them.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm... Cookies... Where does she sell them. ^_^

Many weird and yet wonderful moments you've had, yes?! You are so charismatic. ;->

theCallowQueen said...

She's currently working out of her house, but has plans to get a shop front in downtown KC, I think. She's in the process of building her Web site (htto://CookieKichen.net).

And, yes, her cookies are quite yummy.

TheCallowQueen give a little blush at your last statement.

Creative Commons License
The original text and photos of this site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.